Monday 17 August 2009

Gilbert & George

After seeing the Jack Freak pictures at the White Cube this weekend I think Gilbert & George may be my favourite artist(s).

I was sceptical about the duo at first. Aside from the sometimes extreme sexual imagery it seems a bit narcissitic to put your face in every image and present yourselves as living sculptures. But after seeing more of their massive prints (check out the room at Tate Britain) I get it.

G&G's new work uses particularly British imagery- including artefacts from the duo's East London endz. There are Union Jacks, war medals, street signs, Evening Standard logos and their trademark bare branches.

The new works are only on show at the gallery's two sites until August 22. So go. I highly recommend it. And I wish I could afford this. £2k plus VAT:

No comments:

Post a Comment