Wednesday 9 September 2009

Fish Tank


Please go see this film. Katie Jarvis and Michael Fassbender both put in, literally, breathtaking performances. Andrea Arnold's direction is handheld (i.e shaky) but still stunning.

And to me it portrays the Essex I know. I didn't grow up in the London side of the county but can identify with the fields, council estates, broken down families and often unbelievable accents.

Mostly I just love Katie's story. Found arguing with her boyfriend at an Essex train station aged 16- she was given the part on her 17th birthday. She had a baby four days before the film's Cannes premiere and now has the same agent as Johnny Depp.

I interviewed her recently and she said: "I’m just waiting for the right script to come up, cos I want to try something a bit different from Fish Tank now, and just push myself and see how far I can go."

No comments:

Post a Comment